Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Add on to my sewar collection (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16420)

Sajen 21st November 2012 05:02 PM

Add on to my sewar collection

4 Attachment(s)
Today I win this sewar by ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Indo...vip=true&rt=nc
While I think that the stone in up of the handle isn't maybe not original is my guess that the cap is maybe from gold.

What are your thoughts about this small dagger?

Atlantia 21st November 2012 05:32 PM

Hi Detlef.
Wow that's a very nicely furnished example.
I love the metal mounts. The silver and gold (hopefully) hilt is beautiful. I've not seen one like this before.
Sapphire in the hilt? ;)

Lovely knife, good catch at that price!!

Gene

David 21st November 2012 06:02 PM

Hi Detlef....i don't know a lot about these and frankly the photos are not that good. But from what i can see i would say this is a fairly late example and that the pommel piece is probably gold plated at best. I don't think the metal is real silver either. Maybe that is plated as well, but in the photos it looks more like mammas. The stone is probably glass. Hoping that when you get this in hand you find different though. :shrug: :)

Sajen 21st November 2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Detlef.
Wow that's a very nicely furnished example.
I love the metal mounts. The silver and gold (hopefully) hilt is beautiful. I've not seen one like this before.
Sapphire in the hilt? ;)

Lovely knife, good catch at that price!!

Gene

Hi Gene,

thank's! :) Never have thought that I get it by this price. Byself when it is mammas and the cap is gold plated it is still a good catch, when it is silver and gold...
But like David I think that the "stone" is glass.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 21st November 2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Hi Detlef....i don't know a lot about these and frankly the photos are not that good. But from what i can see i would say this is a fairly late example and that the pommel piece is probably gold plated at best. I don't think the metal is real silver either. Maybe that is plated as well, but in the photos it looks more like mammas. The stone is probably glass. Hoping that when you get this in hand you find different though. :shrug: :)

Hi David,

have the same thoughts about the mounts but still have the hope....
On the other hand is green horn a valuable material. Will let test the materials when I have received the dagger.

Regards,

Detlef

Battara 21st November 2012 09:09 PM

Without testing, the mounts do look silver to me, but I am afraid that the others may be gold plating indeed. Not surprised about the glass.

Better pictures posted will help once you get it in hand.

Sajen 21st November 2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Without testing, the mounts do look silver to me, but I am afraid that the others may be gold plating indeed. Not surprised about the glass.

Better pictures posted will help once you get it in hand.

Hi Jose,

thank you for your thoughts on this one. Would be great when you are correct. Soon as I have received it I will let test it.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 3rd December 2012 09:49 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Have received the sewar. In the late afternoon I have been by a jeweller and let test it. The silver mounts are indeed real silver and the cap is most probable fire gilded. By the blue stone he wasn't sure, could be a sapphire but could be glass, to be sure he need to take it out from the bulb fitting. I personally think that it is stone, a small piece is broken away and this place look like glass under magnifying glass. Blade is very fine laminated but have some minor corrosion which I still need to remove. All in all it a very nice small dagger.

Here some close ups, not the best quality, it become soon dark now here in Germany.

Battara 3rd December 2012 11:31 PM

I now see it. You are right in that the stone is glass and the pommel does look like gilded silver.

Still a nice piece.

asomotif 4th December 2012 09:46 PM

Hello Detlef,

Good bargain price.
To me it looks like a "refurbished" sewar.

The blade looks old, the scabbard mouth also looks old and well carved.
But the silver mountings look recent and made with less detail and care.
Also the visible glue ? between the blade and hilt makes me say it is a restored oldy.

BTW. still at a bargain price :D ;)

Best regards,
Willem

Sajen 5th December 2012 09:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank you Jose and Willem! :)

Willem, first I have had the same thoughts about the silver fittings, but they are old and worn (see pictures) maybe just a little overpolished. Handle is maybe regluded. :shrug:

Have read in " Traditional Weapons Of The Indonesian Archipelago" about sewar the following: " More expensive examples , often totally or partly covered with precious metal, may be decorated with enamel or small stones... On hilts with a flat upper part we sometimes see a golden decoration called tampo"

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 5th December 2012 09:08 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here some group/family pictures of my sewar collection, enjoy.

kai 5th December 2012 10:13 PM

Hello Detlef,

Congrats, another bargain and nice addition to your growing sewar collection!

Judging from the quality of the wood carving as well as the silverwork, I'd estimate the fittings to be post-WW2; still a genuine status piece with signs of use/wear from a later period IMHO.

Quote:

Have read in " Traditional Weapons Of The Indonesian Archipelago" about sewar the following: " More expensive examples , often totally or partly covered with precious metal, may be decorated with enamel or small stones... On hilts with a flat upper part we sometimes see a golden decoration called tampo"
This refers to the calyx also seen at the base of the hilt in other high-end Aceh status blades rather than the pommel (which also has special decorations in these examples).

Regards,
Kai

Sajen 5th December 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

Congrats, another bargain and nice addition to your growing sewar collection!

Judging from the quality of the wood carving ......

Thank you Kai,

just for clarification, the upper part of the scabbard is from green horn, not from wood.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 7th February 2014 12:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Found some days ago this pictures from sold sewars by Ashoka-arts. Just for comparison.

paolo 7th February 2014 12:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
it's my one.
Paolo

Sajen 8th February 2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paolo
Hi,
it's my one.
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

nice little sewar. Do you want to state that it is the one which was sold by Ashoka arts? It's very similar but not the same one.

Regards,

Detlef

paolo 8th February 2014 11:27 AM

Not sold at Asoka, but, years ago, at an English austion house.
Paolo