Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deadliest Warrior - Roman Centurion vs Rajput Warrior (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11996)

Nathaniel 26th May 2010 04:27 AM

Deadliest Warrior - Roman Centurion vs Rajput Warrior

I know the this show has come up before and I'm sure people have their opinions but I just thought I would toss out tonights new episode :) The Rajput demo reminded me of the awesome Sikh martial arts demo at Timonium this year :) It's interesting to see the weapons tested, like the Katar against chain mail. Also in a past episodes I was impressed how well the Zande Kapinga performed as a throwing weapon and also how well an Aztec heavy cotton armour soaked in salt soaked protected against Zande arrow.

http://www.spike.com/blog/blood-on-sand-roman/95900

ariel 26th May 2010 12:55 PM

Who is gonna win in a fight between the whale and the elephant?
Or Captain Alatriste and D'Artagnan?
Or Maximus-the- Gladiator and Robin Hood, if both were played by Russel Crowe?
I thought we have decided to avoid fruitless disussions of the " shamshir vs. rapier" type...
Naah.... :-)

Nathaniel 26th May 2010 01:17 PM

:p I agree I don't care as much as warrior vs warrior...it's crazy when you are pitting warriors of two different periods, like Jesse James versus Al Capone or Viet Cong vs Nazi SS, but love to see the individual weapons tested. It's not perfect...so many variables...but it's fun, nothing that serious :D

Battara 26th May 2010 04:48 PM

I was just amazed by the chakram - it cut the meat right through in one swipe! :eek:

More accurate and deadly than I expected.

RSWORD 26th May 2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I was just amazed by the chakram - it cut the meat right through in one swipe! :eek:

More accurate and deadly than I expected.

Indeed! It was recorded at 36 mph which is impressive so it makes sense. A sharpened steel object flying at your head at 36 mph is going to do some damage. And like frisbees, they can be incredibly accurate with the proper training.

Jim McDougall 26th May 2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Who is gonna win in a fight between the whale and the elephant?
Or Captain Alatriste and D'Artagnan?
Or Maximus-the- Gladiator and Robin Hood, if both were played by Russel Crowe?
I thought we have decided to avoid fruitless disussions of the " shamshir vs. rapier" type...
Naah.... :-)

Im with you Ariel! I never cared much for fantasy swords either, nor reality TV drivel. I guess its part of the spectrum though, to each his own and all that. Now, I need to find my plastic knights play set.:)

pallas 26th May 2010 09:54 PM

some of that rajput armor looked more like mughal armor. i thought rajputs went into battle much more lightly armored than that...............you learn something everyday i guess.

and i thought the chakram/quoit was a sikh weapon??? i remember some british writer saying that the sikhs "kept their quoits (chakram) under their turbans so as to conceal them"

there are so many weapons they could have used. i guess they picked the 4 they thought would be most effective...

i agree with the outcome, the centurion was a better warrior in a legion than on his own.

lionzden 27th May 2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallas
some of that rajput armor looked more like mughal armor. i thought rajputs went into battle much more lightly armored than that...............you learn something everyday i guess.

and i thought the chakram/quoit was a sikh weapon??? i remember some british writer saying that the sikhs "kept their quoits (chakram) under their turbans so as to conceal them"

there are so many weapons they could have used. i guess they picked the 4 they thought would be most effective...

i agree with the outcome, the centurion was a better warrior in a legion than on his own.

in 16thC rajputs, mughals and sikhs often interspersed to learn from one another.

rajputs and mughals although at one time fought against each other, they ended up helping shore up each other's power and rallied together in the fight against creation of sikh army.

sikhs were the best swordsmen one-on-one with indo persian arms. but they were always ridiculously outnumbered in their battles. hence they learned to use anything and everything to throw at their opponents.

the british were much more adept at strategy, war planning and politics and proved it by establishing such a vast raj.

history shows the real test of time, we can debate centurian vs. robin hood til our hair turns grey LoL