Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spear head to identify (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23211)

thomas hauschild 3rd October 2017 03:31 PM

Spear head to identify

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there
I like to get some help to identify this spearhead ( have got it today from a fleemarket for 10 €. The table looks like asian things so I put my post into ethnographic weapons. Feel free to move )

It is 37 cm long. I was sure to see some "lines" under the rust so I bought it. I cleaned it a little bit up and after a handful of seconds of etching there were some brighter layers visible. Maybe a tombak ?

Any comments will be welcome.

Best Thomas

Tim Simmons 3rd October 2017 04:51 PM

Looks Central to South African.

kai 3rd October 2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Looks Central to South African.
Are you sure, Tim?

I can't remember bright pamor-like pattern-welding from that neck of the woods - not my area of expertise though...

Noting that the simple spear head types tend to be very difficult to place positively, I'd assume it to hail from maritime SEA. From the simple base and thickness of the tang, I'd guess this never had any methuk; thus, probably not from Jawa tengah.

Regards,
Kai

kronckew 3rd October 2017 06:19 PM

i'm inclined to SEA also. the stepped tang looks more tumbuk-ish than so. african. and it's definitely not zulu.

David 5th October 2017 10:54 PM

I would also vote SEA, most probably somewhere in Indonesia. :)

La Pagaru 5th October 2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas hauschild
Hi there
I like to get some help to identify this spearhead ( have got it today from a fleemarket for 10 €. The table looks like asian things so I put my post into ethnographic weapons. Feel free to move )

It is 37 cm long. I was sure to see some "lines" under the rust so I bought it. I cleaned it a little bit up and after a handful of seconds of etching there were some brighter layers visible. Maybe a tombak

Any comments will be welcome.

Best Thomas

I am very sure this spear comes from Indonesia
if seen from the blades like Sumatra
but when viewed at the bottom, we used to call it "pesi" looking like a Bugis spear from the island of Sulawesi
but what is clear is that this spear comes from Indonesia

LP

Sajen 6th October 2017 05:33 AM

Hello Thomas,

I also think it's Indonesian. You should clean it in vinegar or citrus acid to loosen the rust.

Regards,
Detlef

thomas hauschild 15th October 2017 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After cleaning and etching a little bit

francantolin 15th October 2017 04:56 PM

Hello,
Indonesia too !
Nice pamor !

Sajen 15th October 2017 05:36 PM

Yes, clearly Indonesian! :) How you have cleaned and etched it?

Regards,
Detlef

thomas hauschild 16th October 2017 04:34 AM

Thanks for the informations.

Detlef....as a knifemaker I have my tricks to etch my own damascus. I touched it ab with my 600/800 finishing stones. The etching was not realy good after iron3, at the end instant coffee worked best.

Best thomas

kino 5th November 2017 03:38 PM

Great job on the etching the Indonesian spearhead Thomas.
I've never heard of etching with instant coffee until now. I had to google it and found the process.
In your experience with it, how does the coffee etchant react with copper or brass?

Thanks for sharing.

thomas hauschild 5th November 2017 06:41 PM

I have no experience with etching brass or copper because I etch my blades before assembly. But a good question. I have some pieces of my own mokume gane ( brass and copper) on the workbench. I will try and post.

Best thomas