Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Costa Navarino, Pylos,Greece, an amazing collection. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18651)

Sylektis 9th June 2014 08:06 PM

Costa Navarino, Pylos,Greece, an amazing collection.

6 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
I just came from Pylos,Greece and ιt was a big surprise to me the collection I found in public areas of the hotel Costa Navarino.
At first, a wondefull Greek knife dated 1768 and signed: "made by Nikourios" (I think that Elgood made ​​a mistake by placing the production of the best of them in Boka Kotorska)

CharlesS 9th June 2014 09:59 PM

Looks like there is a stamp on the blade, and because this is both straight and has some unique fullering, I can't help but think this may have been built around a broken or cut down sword blade.

Any more pics of the blade?

eftihis 11th June 2014 12:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 more photos from the blade.... Where did i found them? From my archive of past auctions, because this (Greek in my opinion) dagger was on auction some years ago...
But looking at the 3rd photo a made a really funny discovery! There was no inscription at the time the dagger was sold! It is clear from the third photo that the space of the inscription was empty....
Also the description of the auction does not mention any date or inscription...
Be careful guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sylektis 11th June 2014 05:19 PM

9 Attachment(s)
.........???????????????????
It's a shame....
Sorry Elgood...and I thought that I found solid proof for the Greek character of these objects....
Poor fellow owner....
Anyway, next are 4 Turkish yataghans. (One of them could be Cretan?)

Sylektis 11th June 2014 05:28 PM

12 Attachment(s)
And some details of them.

Sylektis 15th June 2014 09:36 PM

12 Attachment(s)
And the pistols.
Not found the swords, kariofillia, palaskes, medoularia e.t.c.that somewhere there must be.

Sylektis 15th June 2014 09:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And th elast four.

Ian 15th July 2014 05:10 PM

A little fakery

2 Attachment(s)
Eftihis:

When I first looked at the images you showed of the auction pictures compared with the recently found sword, I thought that they may have been twins rather than the same sword. However, when you put them side by side, the sheaths are indeed identical (except for the inscription, of course). Great eye and great memory!

Caveat emptor indeed!

Ian.

spiral 15th July 2014 09:32 PM

Says it all realy, Earlier photos look like the panel had had an inscription removed, then lo & behold its been inscribed again!

Would have been nice to see what the original inscription was.

Guess the moral is don't pay for inscriptions... just the item {Sadly true on many engraved kukri as well.}

Caveat emptor indeed!

Spiral