Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15747)

Atlantia 28th June 2012 08:14 AM

Hi Loedjoe,

Nice Keris, thanks for sharing.
So would this be from the same place as mine? If so, what is the reason that some are straight and some have luks?
Best
Gene

tunggulametung 28th June 2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Loedjoe,

Nice Keris, thanks for sharing.
So would this be from the same place as mine? If so, what is the reason that some are straight and some have luks?
Best
Gene

I believe so.
Now that is a good question, but in simple words it may be made to satisfy product mix as in marketing, to fit certain dapur (style) for known or unknown reasons, for artistic reasons, for esoteric reasons, etc.

A. G. Maisey 28th June 2012 10:45 AM

The reason that keris have a variety of forms, both straight and waved, varies depending upon the period when the keris was made.

David 28th June 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The reason that keris have a variety of forms, both straight and waved, varies depending upon the period when the keris was made.

Can you give some examples of this Alan, based upon one or a few specific periods of time?

A. G. Maisey 28th June 2012 12:51 PM

As Tunggalametung has commented, product mix is very probably a valid explanation for keris produced during the current era.

As I believe many of us already know, talismanic properties of keris played a role in the decision of dhapur and pamor selection during some past eras.

There were other reasons for keris form at various other times, and at the moment I would prefer not to comment further on this matter.

The important thing to realise is this:- the nature of the keris has not been constant and unchanging during its very lengthy existence. When we consider the nature of the keris it must be considered within a particular time frame.

David 28th June 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

The important thing to realise is this:- the nature of the keris has not been constant and unchanging during its very lengthy existence. When we consider the nature of the keris it must be considered within a particular time frame.

Precisely why i proposed the question of examples to you. Perhaps it is something you would be more willing to discuss at a later date... :shrug:

tunggulametung 28th June 2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Can you give some examples of this .....based upon one or a few specific periods of time?

Hello David, I think Alan made an important point which I missed, to which I'm agree. I also would like to add that perhaps the reason may also differ regionally. It may be difficult to be certain regarding exact date or year, and exact reason. But here is a very simple example. Keris with 3 luk (I'm speaking about Jangkung) was once known to have a positive energy for youth who is studying, working or starting a new life etc in a distant land (incidentally? many Minang keris have 3 luks, and Minagkabau people are well known as immigrant). Now keris with 3 luks may be made nothing more than just to satisfy that story (demand/product mix plays its part here) and maybe bought by someone without the same intention as people from the past. Something like that. I hope this make sense.

tunggulametung 28th June 2012 04:23 PM

I would like to add that generally, well at least from Javanese keris knowledge, we can't differentiate just straight and wavy keris. But first we have to speak about dapur or whatever it was called in other region before attempting to understand about angsar (esoteric properties?), perhaps one of the reason why a particular keris was made in certain style in past times. Thanks

David 28th June 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunggulametung
I also would like to add that perhaps the reason may also differ regionally.

Thanks for your response. The above is most assuredly true, i believe. This isn't a simply question and there certainly are no simple or pat answers. I am simply looking for some starting examples to get the discussion going. Thanks for your input. :)

Atlantia 28th June 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunggulametung
I believe so.
Now that is a good question, but in simple words it may be made to satisfy product mix as in marketing, to fit certain dapur (style) for known or unknown reasons, for artistic reasons, for esoteric reasons, etc.

I'm beginning to see why you Keris chaps like them so much. They are rather subtle and beautiful things.

A. G. Maisey 28th June 2012 11:46 PM

David, I may be open to further discussion on this matter in about 6 months time.

David 29th June 2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

David, I may be open to further discussion on this matter in about 6 months time.

hmmm....i may be open to hearing that discussion around then... ;) :)

Loedjoe 29th June 2012 10:44 AM

Thank you very much, tunggulametung, for your most helpful information and kind remarks.

tunggulametung 30th June 2012 08:04 AM

Not at all Loedjoe :)

Marcokeris 13th July 2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
I find the form of this Keris very pleasing. Hopefully you can all tell me more about it:

:eek: :) great!