Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   And yet another gunong (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24864)

Ferguson 14th April 2019 06:44 PM

And yet another gunong

5 Attachment(s)
So, I wasn't going to buy any more gunong. Then I found this one on Ebay, described as "Antique Made In India Knife / Dagger with Silver / Wood Scabbard 10.75”. Priced reasonably, and no other bids. The blade was scratched and rusty, and the metalwork was caked with metal polish. A couple hours of pleasurable work and this beauty emerged. Overall 10 3/4" (27.3 cm) long in the scabbard with a 6 3/4" (17.1 cm) pattern welded blade. Banati wood hilt that is a bit straighter that the more modern type. I'm guessing Pre-WWII, but would love input on the suspected age. Seems to be silver fittings. All comments welcome. Thanks!
Steve

Battara 14th April 2019 06:58 PM

Dry nice Tito Gunong!

The filigree ring in the middle of the hilt is a little different pattern than the one you usually see.

Sajen 14th April 2019 07:16 PM

Hello Steve,

Very nice gunong, you have had good luck that I haven't noticed it! :D ;)

Very good TLC you have given it and the blade shows a pleasing pattern after you have etched it. Age I would guess to early 19th century.

Regards,
Detlef

Ferguson 18th April 2019 02:43 PM

Thanks gentlemen for your comments. I too think the age is from the early 1900s.

Steve

kronckew 18th April 2019 07:04 PM

Nice one, Steve. You are well on your way to your goal of owning every gunong in the world (except mine).

CharlesS 19th April 2019 12:40 PM

There are never too many gunongs when they are this nice Steve!

Sajen 20th April 2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Age I would guess to early 19th century.

Early 20th century was meant, sorry! ;) :rolleyes:

mariusgmioc 20th April 2019 10:44 PM

Exceptional catch! Congratulations!
Very good cleaning as well.
However, I find the etching too strong. If it were mine, I would give the blade a polish to grit 1000, so that the patern would be faintly visible.

Ferguson 21st April 2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Early 20th century was meant, sorry! ;) :rolleyes:

I was sure that was what you meant. :)
Steve

Ferguson 21st April 2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Exceptional catch! Congratulations!
Very good cleaning as well.
However, I find the etching too strong. If it were mine, I would give the blade a polish to grit 1000, so that the patern would be faintly visible.

I understand and agree. I increased the contrast in the picture so the pattern would be more visible. In person the pattern is much lower contrast.

The blade was very rough and I was out of several grades of abrasive paper.

I will polish further and do another light etch.

Thanks