Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   arabian shamshir?! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14207)

levani 17th August 2011 12:03 PM

arabian shamshir?!

5 Attachment(s)
Your comments please

AJ1356 17th August 2011 12:20 PM

looks suspeciously Persian to me. I could not make out the writing unfortunately. pretty nice though :)

Martin Lubojacky 17th August 2011 03:26 PM

A think the blade is Persian, hilt and mounts are typical for Syria
Regards,
Martin

Kurt 17th August 2011 04:11 PM

arabian shamshir?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
A think the blade is Persian, hilt and mounts are typical for Syria
Regards,
Martin

Hi Martin ,
I agree with you, is a correct assessment.
Best Kurt

tom hyle 18th August 2011 04:32 PM

The use of a ferule or wrap that covers the upper lagnet seems to me a distinctly Arab practice that is also seen on kaskara. Is this seen on Pesian or Turkish hilts?
On kaskara (ie inland Southern Arab swords from Africa) I've seen the guard has an ordinary (if I may) tang slot rather than the feruling hollow center found on Persian and Turkish guards. Is this the case with Northern Arab swords as well?

ariel 21st August 2011 04:31 AM

For me, the differentiating point is the orientation of the pommel: 90 degrees to the handle - Persian, bent down ( like this one) - Syria, bent up - Aravia proper.

Martin Lubojacky 21st August 2011 11:59 AM

I think, as far as sword-hilt is concerned, typical for Syria are also small stars and dots on the handle

A.alnakkas 21st August 2011 12:39 PM

Yep, This is a syrian style hilt. There are 5 types of "shamshir" hilts used by arabs:

1- Najdi/Badawi hilt.
2- Shami or syrian style hilt.
3- Persian style, but with added wire typical seen in syrian and najdi.
4- Turkish style hilt (usually with wire added).
5- "Badawi" style hilt attributed to the coastal kingdoms of the gulf.

As for No.5 I mean a type that is very hard to tell apart from the typical najdi. The main difference is that the pommel on such swords is shorter then that of the najdi (similar to persian shamshir pommel) while maintaining almost every feature of the najdi hilt (riveted hilt slabs, Identical guard and wire wrapping + chain)

Regards,

Alnakkas

levani 22nd August 2011 12:08 PM

what about blade?
woots? sham?

can someone translate writing?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 18th September 2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levani
what about blade?
woots? sham?

can someone translate writing?

Salaams, We think in the top cartouche its says dar amal.... made by... The rest is blurred but we expect the name of the maker... or the name of a famous sword maker often repeated and copied down the centuries... Regards, Ibrahiim al Balooshi .