Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   And again sad news (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21534)

Sajen 11th June 2016 10:55 PM

And again sad news

It seems not to stop this year. Yesterday night I get informed from the widow that my old friend Wolfgang Spielmann died in the evening before on Bali.

Only for a few people will mean this name something but he was one of the few knowledge persons about the Javanese keris at the actual time. He write the book "Der javanische Keris: Funktion und sozio-religiöse Symbolik" (1991). He was member of this forum but don't post to much.
I will miss him. Detlef

VANDOO 12th June 2016 12:06 AM

ITS ALWAYS SAD WHEN SOMEONE PASSES ESPECIALLY IF YOU KNOW THEM WELL. VERY OFTEN YOU HAVE A QUESTION BUT THEY ARE NO LONGER THERE TO GIVE YOU AN OPINION OR ANSWER. AT LEAST HE WROTE A BOOK LEAVING US SOME OF HIS KNOWLEDGE. THEY ARE STILL WITH US IN THE MEMORY'S OF THOSE WHO KNEW THEM AND STILL THINK OF THEM.

A. G. Maisey 12th June 2016 12:42 AM

I extend my deep condolences to Wolfgang's wife and family.

I knew him only from correspondence, but I found him to be a gentle and personable man. He had suffered a terrible accident in Bali some years ago, and that had made his life very difficult for a long time.

May he rest in peace.

Jim McDougall 12th June 2016 03:00 AM

Detlef,
While I did not know this gentleman, I very much regret the loss of any member of our research community.
Please accept my condolences for your loss, and extend to his family as well.

Sincerely
Jim

David 12th June 2016 12:05 PM

It is always sad to see old friends go, especially so when they had so much to offer their community (in this case the keris world) and i am sorry for your personal loss. I didn't know Wolfgang, but was aware of his book, though i never purchased a copy since i am unaware of English additions. I was not aware he was a member here, even if he only posted rarely. What forum name did he use?
Detlef, if you are in communications with the family please convey our sympathies.

Sajen 12th June 2016 12:23 PM

Thank you all for your solicitousness. I will pass the condolences to Wolfgangs wife.

David, his name here was guwaya and so far I know there is no english translation of his book which has been his diploma thesis and even the german version is out of print.

Detlef

mariusgmioc 12th June 2016 07:18 PM

I am very sorry to hear that a member of our forum has passed away! While I didn't know him, I am sure our forum and the world will be poorer without him.

Condolences to the family! :-(

Jean 12th June 2016 07:52 PM

Very sad news indeed, like Alan I used to correspond with Wolfgang before his accident and I had a deep respect for his kris knowledge and will miss him very much also. I bough few good items from him so his memory will stay alive with me for ever.
Regards

Tatyana Dianova 13th June 2016 07:53 AM

It is a great personal loss for me.
I knew Wolfgang only from correspondence, but it was always like writing an old friend. He gave me advice on Keris and life in general, and helped me finding old spare Keris parts.
I will miss him very much.
My deep condolences to Wolfgang's family.

rasdan 14th June 2016 04:26 PM

My deepest condolences to Mr Wolfgang's family. It is indeed a great loss to our keris community.