Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Madu for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18298)

drac2k 17th March 2014 08:44 PM

Madu for comment

12 Attachment(s)
I picked up this madu at the Baltimore show last weekend .It is one of the items that I am inexplicably drawn to.
The show was fun and it was a pleasure to see Rick again,meeting his family as well as some other forum members.

RSWORD 18th March 2014 07:29 PM

Dave,

It was great seeing you as well. That madu had a very nice patina and he decorations to the front are interesting. I can see why you are attracted to this type of shield!

Battara 19th March 2014 01:09 AM

Nice and slightly unusual and better example of these. Congrats!

Sorry I missed you at Baltimore. I was with Manteris1 with only ethnographic stuff there. I was the guy with a silver earcuff with a silver feather.

drac2k 19th March 2014 04:29 AM

Thanks. I think we did meet; I bought the "billy club," and the book "head knockers," and later came by and bought a Chinese sword from him. God willing, I'll be sure to come around next year and get properly introduced.

Montino Bourbon 19th March 2014 07:43 AM

Excellent weapon in a close fight melče

The Mahrattas used this to wade into the thick of battle to rescue a person. Probably great for certain occasions at the supermarket too...

Andrew 19th March 2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I was the guy with a silver earcuff with a silver feather.

Pics of this? :fingerscrossed: :D

Battara 20th March 2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k
Thanks. I think we did meet; I bought the "billy club," and the book "head knockers," and later came by and bought a Chinese sword from him. God willing, I'll be sure to come around next year and get properly introduced.

OH.......THAT WAS YOU? :eek:

drac2k 20th March 2014 12:14 AM

It was .

Battara 20th March 2014 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew
Pics of this? :fingerscrossed: :D

Well no......but here is a picture of my Cherokee earcuff (which I made) at my 150th birthday party......

Battara 20th March 2014 12:42 AM

By the way, I find that the figures on the madu to be uncommon and they add to the uniqueness and beauty of the piece.

Are the figures made of bronze/brass?

drac2k 20th March 2014 03:30 AM

I think they are brass; the figures are almost 3 dimensional because of the large amount of metal each animal is made of .

weapons 27 22nd March 2014 07:34 AM

I think that it is a varnish covering this shield.
However peaks at each end are not common!
nice shield

drac2k 22nd March 2014 04:57 PM

Thanks.The covering is not varnish, but a blend of boiled linseed oil and lemon extract that I use to clean and preserve some of my items;it brings out the color of old paint, takes the dirt off and leaves the old patina (i.e., no change to the brass color).
The figures range in thickness from 1/16" to 1/8"; they are substantial enough to be pinned through the shield rather than inlaid or brazed on it .