Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pre-Napoleonic grenadier officers sabre..... (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8949)

kino 10th March 2009 01:02 AM

Pre-Napoleonic grenadier officers sabre.....

9 Attachment(s)
......according to Jim McD.
Etchings on the blade : the letter L under a crown, a drum with bugle and 2 crossed banners, a flaming bomb, the letters TL or IL

Any additional information or comments would be appreciated.

Jim McDougall 10th March 2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
......according to Jim McD.
Etchings on the blade : the letter L under a crown, a drum with bugle and 2 crossed banners, a flaming bomb, the letters TL or IL

Any additional information or comments would be appreciated.

Hi Kino,
Help me out here, have we discussed this sword here before?

Best,
Jim

kino 10th March 2009 01:09 PM

Jim, We discussed it thru PM and email back in '07.

Jim McDougall 10th March 2009 07:33 PM

I figured it had been a while Kino. I wish I could offer more on this very attractive sabre, and appreciate your reminding me of the comments.
I think one of the most interesting features here is what appears to be acid etched mofif on the blade of a pre-Napoleonic style sabre.

I hope those out there knowledgable on these French patterns will help out.

All the best,
Jim

celtan 11th March 2009 02:02 PM

In Spanish blades, acid etch was not used until well into the 19th C.

Perhaps this is a case of a blade that was subsequently enhanced it its appearance?

Best

M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I figured it had been a while Kino. I wish I could offer more on this very attractive sabre, and appreciate your reminding me of the comments.
I think one of the most interesting features here is what appears to be acid etched mofif on the blade of a pre-Napoleonic style sabre.

I hope those out there knowledgable on these French patterns will help out.

All the best,
Jim

Jim McDougall 11th March 2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celtan
In Spanish blades, acid etch was not used until well into the 19th C.

Perhaps this is a case of a blade that was subsequently enhanced it its appearance?

Best

M

Thank you Manolo, thats a very good suggestion and I hadnt thought of the possibility of later addition to an earlier weapon. Although the acid etching process has been around for some time, as you note, it does not seem to have been widely used until 19th century in other regions either.

It seems that what always comes to mind for me is the etched thuluth calligraphy on Sudanese weapons of the Mahdist period, but that in regions such as Egypt, Arabian ports such as Aden and other Middle East centers this process was also heavily employed by the latter 19thc.

It is my impression that there was a great deal of attention to weapons being acquired by military officers in numerous ports of call during colonial and diplomatic activity during these times. I am not sure exactly how that might have bearing on this interesting sabre, but it seemed worthy of note.

Perhaps an officer had this sabre embellished in traditional motif at a time later than its original issue. It seems that often, especially in the 19th century, many retired or former military men were quite active in fraternal organizations associated with thier former branch or units. Many military swords found continued use in a more ceremonial or regalia sense in these situations, and it seems plausible that this embellishment may have been added to recall an individuals former service. That may explain any conflict in cavalry vs. grenadier pattern etc.

Just thoughts on possibilities :)

All best regards,
Jim