Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Magnetic weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=292)

Ann Feuerbach 23rd October 2006 01:48 PM

Thanks Rivkin, very interesting reference. One never knows where one will find gems of information. :)

Jens Nordlunde 18th August 2011 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I have not reread all the posts on this old thread, so I don’t know if it was here I mentioned that Jahangir ordered a dagger made of a meteoric stone, but I have found a picture of Jahangirs meteoric knife dated 1621 AD, it is in Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., and it is showed on page 82 in Jewellery Studies, vol. 10, 2004. The article was written by Robert Elgood (pp 76-98)

tom hyle 18th August 2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mare Rosu
JENS

What I am saying is that the metal handle is not directly connected electrically to the blade there is a one million ohm resistance between the two. In other words the hilt is not conductive to the blade, it is insulated form the blade so much so that if you were to energize the blade and you were to hold just the hilt you would not feel the anything from the blade being energized. Just another mystery of the dagger I call Mysore.

Gene

Might I suggest that the handle is filled/adhered with pitch, which is not a good electrical conductor? I often imagine copper alloy hilts being cast directly onto the blade, and it certainly has been done, but sticking the two together with pitch seems more prevalent.

Jens Nordlunde 19th August 2011 09:45 PM

I am sorry that I can't comment on the subject, as I don't know anything about it, but I found the dagger very interesting.
Jens

Archit Patel 17th December 2011 04:37 AM

My Esperiments

Hi,
I have had similar experience and I tried "Adding" magnetic property to a hand forged dagger. I had used an old file for forging the dagger. After Forging, Initial grinding and heat treat ment, I honed it with carborundum stone (400-450 grit) with hand. Blade size was about 8.5 inches, and 1.5 inches wide. I honned it for about 12 hours in a span of one month.
It developed strong magnetic property in the center of the blade. I have not checked the calibration though but similar method did not worked on the blades forged from Leaf Srpings.

Jens Nordlunde 17th December 2011 01:37 PM

Hi Archit Patel, and welcome to the forum :).

I know that I started this monster thread, and when I did I did not imagine what it would develop into, but what I do know is, that many of those participating enjoyed it very much, and at the same time also learned a lot. This is what we all hope, to enjoy ourselves and to learn – so it was a good and interesting thread.

I don’t know much about metallurgy, so my guess may be totally wrong, but I would thing that the difference between the knife made out of a file, and the one made out of a Leaf Spring is, that the ‘file’ knife was treated with a grinding stone, and the Leaf Spring knife was probably not, or at least not so intensively. Is that correct?

Jens