Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Origin silver pendok (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23607)

Paul B. 29th January 2018 02:19 PM

Origin silver pendok

This is a very nice silver pendok but where does it come from?
Possibly a bunton Banyumas from Northern Java or rather West-Java (Ceribon?).
The size is a bit larger than a standard Javanese pendok ( 38,5 cm) en smaller diameter ( < 4 cm).
Frontally a floral desgin.
The back has a special engravings, inspired by seawaves?

Paul B. 29th January 2018 02:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Forgotten pics added.

A. G. Maisey 29th January 2018 08:11 PM

That is a very nice pendok.

The rear face looks like a more or less standard lung-lungan motif, but the front face has a motif I have not seen and is not contained in current Central Javanese pattern books. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find it as a batik motif.

I am not prepared to guess where it might have been made.

Paul B. 30th January 2018 07:46 AM

Sorry Alan, you mixed the sides up.
Floral = front and batik looking pattern = rear side.
The slighlty sloping rounded shape tells me so. It reminds me of a previous discussion about a pendok.
Anyway, anybody else having a clue about the destination? Would like to match it with a kris in a proper way.

A. G. Maisey 30th January 2018 10:22 AM

Yes Paul, in the hand it is possible to see the offset of the top of a pendok, in your photos I cannot see it, however, front or back is immaterial, what is material is that it is unusual and very nice.

Bjorn 31st January 2018 07:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It seems like a rather unique piece. Like Alan, the pattern reminds me of batik. To me, it looks like a type of sisik (scale) pattern.

The attached 2 photos show modern-day batik cloth with sisik patterns. One is advertised as sisik bunga (flower sisik) and the other as sisik penangi (rainbow sisik).

As it's not a standard pattern for a pendok, I would say it could have been made anywhere in Java.

Bjorn 31st January 2018 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps the gunung ringgit motif could also have served as inspiration for the one who made the pendok. This motif seems to have originated in the pasisir town of Lasem. Searching for this motif also seems to yield kain batik where the motif covers a significant part of the cloth.

If I would be fitting the pendok, I'd be inclined to fit it to a keris from the pasisir.

A. G. Maisey 31st January 2018 08:34 PM

That's good Bjorn.

Thanks for saving me the time of looking.

Paul B. 1st February 2018 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A name like UNTUK-UNTUKAN was given to me. Don't know about that nor it's meaning but I do know about PAMOR UNTUK BANYU and it has these waves as well.

A. G. Maisey 1st February 2018 07:30 AM

"unthuk-unthukan" is Javanese, it means mounds, but I think that this motif is as Bjorn has suggested, a scale motif. I've got a pendok somewhere with a much more simple sisik motif.

Paul B. 4th February 2018 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This Ceribon kris has a sizewise ( tall and slender) proper gandar which could fit the pendok without having to adapt it but actually not a needing accessory as it has a nice Timoho pelet would from itself.

Marcokeris 4th February 2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B.
This Ceribon kris has a sizewise ( tall and slender) proper gandar which could fit the pendok without having to adapt it but actually not a needing accessory as it has a nice Timoho pelet would from itself.

very nice dress :)

Jean 6th February 2018 06:24 PM

Considering the size and design of this nice pendok, I would agree that it probably originates from the Java North Coast (Cirebon area).
Regards