Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Indian dagger by any name (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21100)

Marcus 12th February 2016 12:59 AM

An Indian dagger by any name

5 Attachment(s)
How would you classify this piece?

This what Artzi said:
"The Yali is a Hindu mythological creature which is believed to be very powerful and thus its image was used in sword and daggers handles. This one is from South India, 7 1/2 inches re-curving blade with a brass handle with a Yali head pommel. Total length 10 1/2 inches. Good condition."

The handle is very small. It is only comfortable for me to hold in my whole hand, ignoring the knuckle guard.

mahratt 12th February 2016 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus
How would you classify this piece?

This what Artzi said:
"The Yali is a Hindu mythological creature which is believed to be very powerful and thus its image was used in sword and daggers handles. This one is from South India, 7 1/2 inches re-curving blade with a brass handle with a Yali head pommel. Total length 10 1/2 inches. Good condition."

The handle is very small. It is only comfortable for me to hold in my whole hand, ignoring the knuckle guard.

Hi, Marcus.

Congratulations! Excellent dagger.
I would call this a dagger - Bichwa from South India.

estcrh 12th February 2016 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahratt
Hi, Marcus.

Congratulations! Excellent dagger.
I would call this a dagger - Bichwa from South India.

Very similar to the one in the Met.

Indian (Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu) Bichuwa dagger, 17th century, steel, brass, silver, H. 10 5/8 in. (27 cm); H. of blade 7 1/2 in. (19.1 cm); W. 2 11/16 in. (6.8 cm); Wt. 8.1 oz. (229.6 g) Bequest of George C. Stone, 1935, Met Museum.

ariel 12th February 2016 08:07 AM

Bullseye.

BANDOOK 12th February 2016 11:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
HERE IS MY SOUTH INDIAN YALI DAGGER FROM HYDERABAD OR MYSORE

L 35 cm.

A DAGGER WITH A BRONZE HANDLE IN THE FORM OF AN ANIMAL HEAD AND A STEEL BLADE WITH SILVER INLAID DECORATION OF ANIMALS IN A FOREST. India, Hyderabad, Length 35 cm. Matching sheath. Minor damage.

REGARDS
RAJESHr

Marcus 12th February 2016 04:11 PM

Bichwa

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Bullseye.

Great. Thanks, especial for the reference to the example in the Met. I note that the dimensions are nearly identical. Do they suggest it might have been intended for a woman?

ariel 13th February 2016 04:11 AM

South Indians are as a rule smaller than the Northerners. Perhaps,it fit their hands quite comfortably.