Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Re: Editorials and posts, please read (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8822)

Jim McDougall 2nd March 2009 01:55 PM

Re: Editorials and posts, please read

When we began this forum, its purpose was to expand the scope of our forum discussions into much broader topics concerning not only edged weapons, but the arms and armour of the world, through history.

Naturally the discussion of weaponry throughout history will involve conflicts between cultures and groups, and of course these often became varying degrees of war or warfare resulting in the very need for weapons. Becoming weary of the tiresome bickering and chest pounding inflamed by nationalistic or editorial remarks and inflammatory comments disguised as debate relating to the study of arms on other forums over the years, my beliefs in beginning this forum was to provide a place for serious study and discussion of these topics...without this unsavory behavior.

Recently I realized that on our particular subforum, there had not been rules posted, and while these are posted on our main forum, that of the ethnographic forum, it seems necessary that they should be on site here as well. I have asked that a link to these be posted at the top of our sticky list, and I would respectfully ask that members that have joined us here, and not familiar with the rules posted on the original forum, please glance through them. Obviously it is not implied that any members are in any way unaware of common courtesy nor common sense in publicly posted discussions, but as in most things in society, the rules exist, regardless how subtly.

This forum is for discussing arms and armour, and I am proud to say with considerable latitude in the topics included in its broad scope. What is not appreciated is editorial commentary, inflammatory or denigrating remarks toward an individual, his heritage, nationality, religion, or any such personally held denominators. It is unnecessary and completely detracts from any sound discussion on serious study of arms and armour.

I only ask the membership to focus on the two simplest rules that may be considered to incorporate the longest list of behavioral rules in summary....two words, courtesy and respect.....give them openly and they will be returned in kind.
Lets focus on friendly discussion and keep things objective when dealing in citing facts, and understanding when dealing in subjectives. ....
the discussions here since we began have been fantastic, and I think we are on the way to much greater understanding and knowledge of the many subjects we have of these extremely important arms and armour.

Thank you so much gentlemen!!!

All very best regards,
Jim