Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two European Pistols for the export market (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23372)

Cerjak 17th November 2017 07:11 PM

Two European Pistols for the export market

10 Attachment(s)
Two European Pistols for export market
both pistols are with European components the smaller one is silver mounted
The long one may be for Greece ? OL 56 cm
Any comment on it will be welcome

Battara 18th November 2017 12:55 AM

These do look to me like they were for export to the Balkans, perhaps during the mid-19c. Could be used by many sides - the Greeks, Serbs, and the Turks, etc.

rickystl 18th November 2017 02:03 PM

Hi Cerjak

Yet again, two more great looking pistols !!!

I agree. Either European made for export, or assembled/decorated locally with the use of European parts. The locks and barrels look European.
Two common features I've noticed on Eastern guns: 1. The use of dome head lock plate mounting screws versus pan head screws favored on most European made guns. 2. The trigger guards on Eastern guns are simply nailed to the stock versus the use of screws and/or horizontal pins favored on European guns.
A question: Do the ramrods go the length of the barrel ? Or are they short ?

Rick

Cerjak 18th November 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Cerjak

Yet again, two more great looking pistols !!!

I agree. Either European made for export, or assembled/decorated locally with the use of European parts. The locks and barrels look European.
Two common features I've noticed on Eastern guns: 1. The use of dome head lock plate mounting screws versus pan head screws favored on most European made guns. 2. The trigger guards on Eastern guns are simply nailed to the stock versus the use of screws and/or horizontal pins favored on European guns.
A question: Do the ramrods go the length of the barrel ? Or are they short ?

Rick

Hi RICK

The long one is with an half barrel ramrod but the second don't have any ramrod.
best
Cerjak

eftihis 18th November 2017 09:31 PM

Ι Was wondering if both are from the same maker (or from the same restorer at some time), because they do look to have the same colour on the wood, and also the plate opposite to the lock has engravings of the same "philosophy" on both. HAve bought them together?

corrado26 19th November 2017 08:19 AM

I suppose that both pistols have been made at Brescia/I. Brescia belonged until 1796 to the republic of Venice and Venice had been in possesion of large territories at the eastern cost of the Adriatic Sea. So it could support the Albaniens and Greeks with weapons against the Turks.
corrado26

Kubur 19th November 2017 09:27 AM

The big one has a lock from an Italian gunmaker
Giovanni Sofiantini
Italian locks and barrels were used both sides Greeks and Ottomans.
The little pistol is typical of the French export for the Turkish market.
They are both Turkish pistols to MHO.
Kubur

Andreas 20th November 2017 11:45 AM

Giovanni Sofiantini had his workshop in Florence, it was active between 1732 and 1780.

Cerjak 20th November 2017 05:39 PM

Thank you all for your interest and comment about these 2 pistols.
Best
Cerjak