Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Furdess Helm (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17314)

Edwulf 5th June 2013 09:12 PM

"Furdess Helm

Can anyone help me with info on this helm?Is it authentic and what time period?
thanks for your time.

Jim McDougall 3rd July 2013 07:52 PM

In the spirit of summer doldrums, I saw this one edging toward the abyss and thought I would bump it to the top. While surprised that nobody made any note, my interest was piqued despite having little knowledge on these Viking arms, and had some questions myself.

In these cases I usually will do a little research, check a book or two and see what the item in question is about. All I could find on this is that the term 'Furdess' is used on reproduction Viking helmets, but no reference to where the term came from.
All indications are that there are few Viking helmets extant, one reference suggested only one reliably authenticated. That would lead me to believe that the helmet being queried here is not likely authentic (even though I cannot see a photo or description of same). It would be hard to specify a period for an undescribed and non illustrated helmet (helms were usually the medieval knight and jousting form of enclosed helmet as far as I know).
What is likely is that it is Viking period in style, and unclear when it would have been made.
As usual simply an exercise, but it would be interesting if anyone out there knows anything about Viking helmets and why the Furdess term.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th July 2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In the spirit of summer doldrums, I saw this one edging toward the abyss and thought I would bump it to the top. While surprised that nobody made any note, my interest was piqued despite having little knowledge on these Viking arms, and had some questions myself.

In these cases I usually will do a little research, check a book or two and see what the item in question is about. All I could find on this is that the term 'Furdess' is used on reproduction Viking helmets, but no reference to where the term came from.
All indications are that there are few Viking helmets extant, one reference suggested only one reliably authenticated. That would lead me to believe that the helmet being queried here is not likely authentic (even though I cannot see a photo or description of same). It would be hard to specify a period for an undescribed and non illustrated helmet (helms were usually the medieval knight and jousting form of enclosed helmet as far as I know).
What is likely is that it is Viking period in style, and unclear when it would have been made.
As usual simply an exercise, but it would be interesting if anyone out there knows anything about Viking helmets and why the Furdess term.

Salaams Jim~ Yaa Selfolgelig !! ~ I pulled a piece from www.mingloo.com which goes on to explain

Quote" Helmets from the Viking Age are very rare - only one example known to exist. This Viking helmet was made of iron and was in the shape of a rounded or peaked cap made from four plates after the spangenhelm pattern, and was excavated from Gjermundbu, Norway, and dated to the 10th century. This helmet has a rounded cap with a small 2 cm spike on top and has a "spectacle" guard around the eyes and nose, in addition to a possible mail aventail. The eyeguard in particular suggests a close affinity with the earlier Vendel period helmets. From runestones and other illustrations, we know the Vikings also wore simpler helmets, often peaked caps with a simple noseguard. Unlike what is often shown in movies and other media, Viking helmets never had horns mounted on them". Unquote

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

David 5th July 2013 08:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, i'm unclear what this thread is about since as far as i can tell Edwulf never included an image in his query.
Here is an interesting page on Viking helmets though which i believe shows the one accepted authentic Viking helmet found to date.
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/arti...ng_helmets.htm
I believe it is true that Viking helmets did NOT have horns, but these small figures from the 6th-9th century Sweden and Denmark perhaps show where some might have gotten the idea that they did. I think these are more ceremonial (religious) than martial in their intent.

Jim McDougall 6th July 2013 04:44 AM

Thanks very much Ibrahiim and David for joining in with entries on this query, which would appear to be a lark as it is not only vague but without illustration. Just the same it seemed to have potential as an interesting topic as these helmets do not get much discussion here.

It is true that there is but a single 'intact' extant Viking helmet, the Gjermundbu find (1943) from central Norway, and dating from around 970AD. There are two others of similar form, one from Denmark and the other from Sweden, but both in dismally relic condition and not intact.

I thought perhaps the 'Furdess' term may have indicated another find in which case the location of the find becomes the term applied to the item referred to. In this case the only use of the term I have found is in a number of advirtisements for reproduction helmets of this type, so this ploy of course seems to pertain to these rather than a valid form.

Interestingly, it appears that few Viking helmets in use were actually of metal as these, and that few of these warriors could afford them, most headgear was probably of leather. As noted, the horns were likely only on ceremonial or other purposed helmets, not for combat and rare. As often the case, another device of 19th century romanticism.

Interesting ad though.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 6th July 2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thanks very much Ibrahiim and David for joining in with entries on this query, which would appear to be a lark as it is not only vague but without illustration. Just the same it seemed to have potential as an interesting topic as these helmets do not get much discussion here.

It is true that there is but a single 'intact' extant Viking helmet, the Gjermundbu find (1943) from central Norway, and dating from around 970AD. There are two others of similar form, one from Denmark and the other from Sweden, but both in dismally relic condition and not intact.

I thought perhaps the 'Furdess' term may have indicated another find in which case the location of the find becomes the term applied to the item referred to. In this case the only use of the term I have found is in a number of advirtisements for reproduction helmets of this type, so this ploy of course seems to pertain to these rather than a valid form.

Interestingly, it appears that few Viking helmets in use were actually of metal as these, and that few of these warriors could afford them, most headgear was probably of leather. As noted, the horns were likely only on ceremonial or other purposed helmets, not for combat and rare. As often the case, another device of 19th century romanticism.

Interesting ad though.

Salaams Jim ~ I thought I would allow the thread originator to post the picture of the Furdess Helmet if possible?... The only reference book I have is a great little book from 1960 called The Vikings by Johannes Brondsted ... published by Pelican for 5 shillings !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

fernando 6th July 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwulf
... Can anyone help me with info on this helm? ...

This helm :confused: .
Yeah, it should be great having the thread author to post a picture of it: isn't that a must ? ... or have we here a misexpressed approach :o

Jim McDougall 6th July 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Jim ~ I thought I would allow the thread originator to post the picture of the Furdess Helmet if possible?... The only reference book I have is a great little book from 1960 called The Vikings by Johannes Brondsted ... published by Pelican for 5 shillings !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Ibrahiim, thats the same book Ive got!!! Most of my Viking books didnt make the cut this trip in the bookmobile :) It would be nice if Edwulf could post a picture of whatever helmet he has....my psychic powers aint what they used to be. In the meantime hope his traffic has picked up:)