Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW CLUB, I REFER TO AS THE GIANT PECKER (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18844)

VANDOO 30th July 2014 05:51 PM

NEW CLUB, I REFER TO AS THE GIANT PECKER

4 Attachment(s)
SORRY I COULD NOT RESIST :D THIS CLUB IS SAID TO COME FROM AFRICA AND UNDOUBTEDLY REPRESENTS A HORN BILL BIRD. IT IS VERY LARGE BUT MANAGEABLE WITH A TWO HANDED GRIP, IT WOULD NOT SERVE AS A WEAPON UNLESS THE OPPONENT WAS LAYING ON THE GROUND. IT WOULD DELIVER A GOOD PECKING BLOW TO SUCH A TARGET BUT I BELIEVE IT TO BE PURELY CEREMONIAL. IT SHOWS QUITE A LOT OF AGE AND WEAR INDICATING A LONG PERIOD OF USE IN THE PAST. IT IS 22 IN. TALL 22.5 IN. WIDE AND THE HANDLE IS 29 INCHES LONG. MADE OF A HARD WOOD THAT IS NOT TOO HEAVY.
THE OTHER POSSIBILITY WOULD BE NEW GUINEA OR THE ISLANDS AROUND IT. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANOTHER PECKER LIKE IT. :p

Sajen 30th July 2014 06:22 PM

Hello Barry,

it is surely from Oceania; I am very sure! Not because I know it but by a small detail I see on the second picture. There I see remains of pupation of an insect I know very well, I have seen this by many items already. I will look for and will post a close up from this. Hope this will be from help.

Regards,
Detlef

colin henshaw 30th July 2014 06:28 PM

Very interesting piece - I like it. Must be from New Caledonia, I think.

Sajen 30th July 2014 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here the close up from the back of one from my Halmahera shields (salawaku). Like you know is Halmahera biological already Australian, means that you can find there animals you can find also in New Guinea.

Tim Simmons 30th July 2014 08:36 PM

I think Barry is right Africa Senufo.

VANDOO 31st July 2014 03:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
YOU ARE RIGHT SAJEN :) IT IS THE REMAINS OF A PUPA LIKE THE ONE YOU SHOW, GOOD EYE I HAD NOT NOTICED IT. I READ AN ARTICLE ON THE USE OF VARIOUS INSECT PUPA AND OTHER TRACES BEING USED TO IDENTIFY THE REGION ARTIFACTS CAME FROM. THEY SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED THIS BEING USED FOR IDENTIFICATION AND AGE DETERMINATION ON ITEMS FROM NEW GUINEA AND THE REGION AROUND IT.
MENTION WAS ALSO MADE OF LOCALS ARTIFICIALLY AGEING OBJECTS BY BURYING THEM IN THE GROUND AND THEN HANGING THEM IN A SHED OR STORAGE BUILDING FOR A SEASON OR SO TO LET THESE BUGS LEAVE THEIR TRACES.
SO IT IS LIKELY THIS IS OCEANIC AND FROM THE REGION AROUND NEW GUINEA UNLESS A SIMILAR INSECT PUPA IS FOUND IN AFRICA?. IT DOES REMIND ME OF THE PIG KILLING CLUBS AND THE FIGHTING PICKS FOUND IN THE REGION.
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF SEVERAL PIG KILLING CLUBS AND ONE FIGHTING PICK. THE PIG KILLING CLUBS ARE MOSTLY FROM VANAUTU AND THE FIRST TWO PICTURES MEASURES 39CM. HEAD X 42 CM. HANDLE. THE 3RD. PICTURE IS 24 INCHES LONG AND THE FIGHTING PICK IS 22 INCHES LONG.
PERHAPS IT REPRESENTS THE CASSOWARY INSTEAD OF THE HORNBILL?

Sajen 31st July 2014 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Barry,

I think it is a dance wand, look for example this one, taken from "Oceanic Art", Anthony JP Meyer, page 260. This one is from the Chambri sea, Itamul, Middle Sepik.

BTW, this book is a great reference work for Oceanic art.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 31st July 2014 08:48 PM

Here is an other one: http://tribalcollective.com/old-kwom...f684/#more-125

VANDOO 31st July 2014 09:14 PM

THESE EXAMPLES WOULD SEEM TO CONFIRM ITS ORIGINS AND WHAT IT WAS USED FOR. THANKS THE GREAT PECKER MYSTERY IS SOLVED :D

Sajen 31st July 2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
THESE EXAMPLES WOULD SEEM TO CONFIRM ITS ORIGINS AND WHAT IT WAS USED FOR. THANKS THE GREAT PECKER MYSTERY IS SOLVED :D

Hello Barry,

glad that I could help to solve the mystery! :D I was sure already by the first look that I have seen similar ones but wasn't sure where and from where these dance wands from.

Regards,
Detlef