Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Unusual curved naval dirk for ID (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15226)

Atlantia 10th March 2012 01:16 PM

Unusual curved naval dirk for ID

2 Attachment(s)
Not seen one like this before, possibly eastern, presumably one of the retailer/outfitter sold pieces for dress occasions?
Condition isn't perfect but all parts appear to be original. Strange shaped guard isn't broken, just has a strange 'quarter' knuckle bow.
No markings apart from the cast emblem on the guard.
Any thoughts?

Atlantia 11th March 2012 05:00 PM

Everybody Stumped?

colin henshaw 11th March 2012 05:31 PM

Not my area really - but the sheath looks odd, isn't that type of drag to the end for a much longer sword ?

Looks a bit made up to my uneducated eye, or could it be a type of "society" sword ?

Regards.

kronckew 11th March 2012 08:20 PM

looks vaguely french imperial to me. young midshipmans private purchase?

scabbard looks incomplete, leather/wood lining missing? throat also.

Atlantia 11th March 2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Not my area really - but the sheath looks odd, isn't that type of drag to the end for a much longer sword ?

Looks a bit made up to my uneducated eye, or could it be a type of "society" sword ?

Regards.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought society I must say.
However, although the type is unfamiliar the general shape and 'elements' all say naval dirk to me.
:shrug:

Best
Gene

Atlantia 11th March 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
looks vaguely french imperial to me. young midshipmans private purchase?

scabbard looks incomplete, leather/wood lining missing? throat also.

Hi mate,
Scabbard is also missing one suspension loop and mount.
I thought private purchase. Hopefully someone will recognise it. French would be good.
Best
Gene

Atlantia 12th March 2012 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Did other nations use the lion motif on Dirks?
Anyone recognise the laurels and flags?

Atlantia 13th March 2012 10:27 PM

Surely someone recognises it?

M ELEY 15th March 2012 02:25 AM

IMHO, I think this sword has a damaged and repaired hilt. Even though it appears that the guard was made that way, I think it was broken long ago and left as is with the remaining guard as such. I've seen this hilt form before and it would have a reverse P type knuckle bow. The pommel appears to be a replacement. Not so sure about the guard. The blade looks good/original. I don't recognize the emblem, but cast brass emblems of this type found on all sorts of early-mid 19th c. blades, which I believe yours is. I don't think this one was dress/fraternal, but a re-worked piece. Because the repair was done contemporary with its use, I could see that this might have been a side-knife. If it's naval (?), I'm not familiar with the form per say. It would have to be a merchant/private purchase/put-together side arm for a sailor...

templarnight 26th March 2012 08:16 PM

I saw this Sword, and its a made up piece of parts.

Cathey 26th March 2012 09:49 PM

My two cents worth i think the scabbard was from a sword and cut down to suit
Cheers Rex

Atlantia 26th March 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templarnight
I saw this Sword, and its a made up piece of parts.

Hi Patrick

It doesn't appear to be, can you provide some evidence of the origins of these 'parts'?

Regards
Gene

Atlantia 26th March 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathey
My two cents worth i think the scabbard was from a sword and cut down to suit
Cheers Rex

The two suspension points show that the scabbard although damaged is original size and shape. It's not a cut down for sure.

Best
Gene

Atlantia 26th March 2012 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M ELEY
IMHO, I think this sword has a damaged and repaired hilt. Even though it appears that the guard was made that way, I think it was broken long ago and left as is with the remaining guard as such. I've seen this hilt form before and it would have a reverse P type knuckle bow. The pommel appears to be a replacement. Not so sure about the guard. The blade looks good/original. I don't recognize the emblem, but cast brass emblems of this type found on all sorts of early-mid 19th c. blades, which I believe yours is. I don't think this one was dress/fraternal, but a re-worked piece. Because the repair was done contemporary with its use, I could see that this might have been a side-knife. If it's naval (?), I'm not familiar with the form per say. It would have to be a merchant/private purchase/put-together side arm for a sailor...

I honestly don't know. Can you find any pics?
Anythings possible, it's an oddity for sure.

Here's a shot to show the size with an 1845 for scale.

Best
Gene

templarnight 27th March 2012 10:10 PM

Hi Eugene

No Im afraid I cant provide any reference, but then I guess that seems to be the problem with it.

I would have thought that the Grip would have had a Ferrule which leads me to think its not for this Sword.

The overall look of it made me to think it was a marriage when I examined it before you acquired it.

However its only my opinion, hopefully someone will be able to pin it down with a bit of luck.

Atlantia 28th March 2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templarnight
Hi Eugene

No Im afraid I cant provide any reference, but then I guess that seems to be the problem with it.

I would have thought that the Grip would have had a Ferrule which leads me to think its not for this Sword.

The overall look of it made me to think it was a marriage when I examined it before you acquired it.

However its only my opinion, hopefully someone will be able to pin it down with a bit of luck.

Hi Patrick,

That's a relief, your previous post made it sound like you knew something.
I'm in agreement with John on this one, a continental dirk sold by an outfitter.
Not 100% about the pommel, but the rest seems fine to me.
I agree that someone is bound to recognise it.... just a matter of being patient I guess.

Regards
Gene