Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gilded and painted Keris for viewing (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11082)

Gavin Nugent 18th November 2009 01:24 AM

Gilded and painted Keris for viewing

4 Attachment(s)
I have had this piece sitting aside for some time now and it has sparked a lot of interest with fellow collectors I speak to externally from the forum so I thought others would also like to view it.
Although my knowledge is very limited in comparrision to the knowledge base here, I know what I like and painted scabbard Keris are something I have always found very appealling and will continue to put these painted examples aside in my collections.
Here is an example I favour very much, the scabbard is gilded and painted, the blade is unusual in form and the pamor is what I beleive to be expertly controlled.
Comments and input is most welcome.

Gav

Rick 18th November 2009 01:31 AM

Hey Gav,
How about a full picture of the blade . ;)

The painting ... nice .

Gavin Nugent 18th November 2009 01:48 AM

Full blade.

1 Attachment(s)
;) Rick, Full blade image, though it doesn't quite show the pamor following the edge in layers all the way to the tip....

Gav

A. G. Maisey 18th November 2009 01:59 AM

Nice.

These Bali sunggingan are really pretty scarce.

I mean really scarce.

Gavin Nugent 18th November 2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Nice.

These Bali sunggingan are really pretty scarce.

I mean really scarce.

Wow, thank you Alan, I knew it was a good thing when I found it but hearing that makes it ace! They are beautiful.

Do you think in a previous life the hilt would have been painted/gilded? Or is it more typical to have them left as it currently sits?

Best regards

Gav.

A. G. Maisey 18th November 2009 03:01 AM

In the Balinese ones I've seen the hilt seems to bear no relationship at all to the wrongko.

Gavin Nugent 19th November 2009 12:08 AM

The blade

Gents,

Another aspect that drew me to this piece was the blades quality.

I know there are many different representation of style in this area of the blade but this shape is new to my eyes. An almost human like shape to one side and flames rising on the other?

Not being very savy with keris terms, does the unusual form of the blade at the forte inticate anything in particular such as region in Bali, age of the blade or status of the owner?

Best regards

Gav

Rick 19th November 2009 12:58 AM

Agree, the pecetan (Jawa term) seems to be executed a bit differently . :confused:
The luks seem a little strange .

Otherwise, are you referring to the pamor ?

Gavin Nugent 19th November 2009 01:23 AM

The blade;

Rick,

In general just the first four inches from the hilt as a whole I find interesting and unusual, the "fullers" the shapes, dips and curves.

I think for me, differentiating pamor or the subtle luks is beyond my understandings to be able to grasp fully, :confused: but I am willing to listen if the information can be offered as it would be interesting to know and it would offer points of reference for my own readings when time permits. Others might also want to know these technical aspects of this piece :shrug:

Best

Gav

David 19th November 2009 01:33 AM

It's certainly a nice blade, but i don't find the fullers all that unusual for a Bali blade.
I also have a old Bali sunggingan that i will post in the next day or so. Interestingly mine does have a hilt which has also been painted in relation to the sheath.

Gavin Nugent 19th November 2009 01:54 AM

Nice to see another

Great David,

I look forward to viewing it.

I agree Bali Keris do have fullers similar to this and in these positions but there are subtle differences in the flow and depth of the curves that my eyes are drawn too. It may be nothing but I thought to ask. I'll try to get some comparative images of the other Bali keris blade I have here to see if I can highlight it better. It may just be a case of the pamor on this piece making it look different.

Regards

Gav

A. G. Maisey 19th November 2009 02:35 AM

I can see nothing unusual at all in this blade.

The garap is fair average quality for a Bali blade of this vintage. There are minor artistic shortcomings that really do not bear mention, and can simply be written off as the maker's style.

To my eyes its just a pretty usual sort of old Bali blade.

What makes the whole thing nice is the old blade + old sunggingan in pretty good condition + the sunggingan is well preserved + the blade has what appears to be a nice old stain + the hilt is not bad either. As a total package its pretty nice and very scarce.

David 19th November 2009 02:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, i did manage to find a couple of photos that i already took of this sheath. I will have to take some more to show the whole sheath and the whole hilt. You can see the the hilt has some of the same red paint as the sheath. The pommel is similarly painted. Not in as good condition as Gav's but i think this one might be just a bit older. :shrug:

A. G. Maisey 19th November 2009 05:22 AM

Yep. Nice too.

Any of these old Bali sunggingans are very, very collectable.

Gavin Nugent 19th November 2009 06:07 AM

Another painted scabbard and hilt

1 Attachment(s)
Another I secured recently, still to be posted to me, new or old I couldn't say but the wear looked honest enough without going into too much detail.

I'll submit more images when it arrives.

Thanks for posting the images David, I really enjoy looking at these pieces something the eyes can enjoy all day.

All the best Gav

PS guys, if you got em show them I would love to see more diverstity in painting or gilding.

Marcokeris 19th November 2009 06:08 AM

all very nice :)

VVV 19th November 2009 09:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing.
Here is another, more simple, one as a reference.

Michael

Marcokeris 19th November 2009 12:35 PM

Very hard in Bali to find, in my experience, so nice dress.
(price ...are really very high :shrug: )

Sajen 19th November 2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Very hard in Bali to find, in my experience, so nice dress.
(price ...are really very high :shrug: )

This I can confirm! All four are very nice!

David 19th November 2009 05:43 PM

Can anyone speak to the place of these painted sheaths culturally? Where these reserved for specific societal stations or could anyone own one? :shrug: :)

A. G. Maisey 20th November 2009 02:37 AM

We're looking at Bali keris here, I cannot answer this question. However, for Javanese keris, although some particular person, such as cantung balung, or an actor, may wear a sunggingan keris, nobles also wear them on some occasions, the colour of the sunggingan work and pendok being designated to the rank of the wearer.

I've got a pretty fair small collection of quality sunggingan keris, I'm a bit busy right now, but as soon as I get a chance I'll make some pics available

Sajen 20th November 2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Can anyone speak to the place of these painted sheaths culturally? Where these reserved for specific societal stations or could anyone own one? :shrug: :)

1994 I have seen one in an antique shop in Klungkung for sale. When I come back two days later the owner have rent it to someone who want to be married.

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 21st November 2009 12:03 AM

In Bali marriage keris are usually the most flamboyant that one can afford. I know one Bali bloke who virtually mortgaged his house to put together a glorious keris for his marriage. Gold, emeralds, rubies --- chocolate layer cake with cream and cherries. After his marriage it took him several years to sell it at a loss. It was offered to me, but I could not afford it.

Gavin Nugent 14th December 2009 12:21 PM

Another for viewing

8 Attachment(s)
Another Bali Sunggingan

A better group of images of the one above.

I will enjoy viewing more diversity in these pieces when you get to yours Alan.

Enjoy.

Gav

A. G. Maisey 14th December 2009 09:42 PM

This is nice art work, but I most sincerely doubt that this type of Balinese sunggingan work is traditional. It is the most popular style for newly done sungging work that is specifically offered to collectors. I have never seen an old sunggingan scabbard with this style of decoration --- or more correctly, I have never seen old sunggingan work of this style.

Gavin Nugent 14th December 2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

This is nice art work, but I most sincerely doubt that this type of Balinese sunggingan work is traditional. It is the most popular style for newly done sungging work that is specifically offered to collectors. I have never seen an old sunggingan scabbard with this style of decoration --- or more correctly, I have never seen old sunggingan work of this style.

I would agree this is 20th century work Alan, the presence of a whitish undercoat exposed where some old paint has fallen away, this is what would make me think the same. There is a small sticker to the blade that reads "Antique Blade, hand painted Bali keris".
Needless to say, as you note the art work is nice. it is very detailed and attractive to the eye, well my eye.
Any direction with the blade, it does appear to have nice age to it.

Best

Gavin

A. G. Maisey 15th December 2009 01:41 AM

Yes, the keris is old, and very probably the scabbard, but I'd guess the sunggingan work as 1970's.

Kiai Carita 15th December 2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, the keris is old, and very probably the scabbard, but I'd guess the sunggingan work as 1970's.

If you examine closely is it watercolour and ink covered by a spray varnish? This method of sungging began to become common in the 1980s.

A. G. Maisey 15th December 2009 08:36 AM

You're better than me Kiai, I can't tell what materials have been used for the sungging work from a photo, but wouldn't argue about the time frame, 1980's is near enough to 1970's in my book. The point is this:- its not old paint work.

Gavin Nugent 15th December 2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiai Carita
If you examine closely is it watercolour and ink covered by a spray varnish? This method of sungging began to become common in the 1980s.

Interesting and quite possible, varnish or lacquer would explain the way in which the paint has flaked and appears rippled in a few small patches.
Being a very time intensive task to create what they have, I'd be interested in seeing or learning more about the processes involved in decorating these sheaths either new or old now I have presented both.

Gav