Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Slim 7-luk keris for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11712)

Greybeard 27th March 2010 01:14 PM

Slim 7-luk keris for comment

I just bought an old 7-luk keris in Solo dress with a very slim blade
and a single line pamor along the middle of the blade. Lenght of
the blade without pesi: 31 cm.

Any opinion/comment regarding dapur (Sempana?), pamor (Sodo Saler?)
and age will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Heinz

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/thumbs/emr8-1.jpg

ganjawulung 27th March 2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greybeard
I just bought an old 7-luk keris in Solo dress with a very slim blade
and a single line pamor along the middle of the blade. Lenght of
the blade without pesi: 31 cm.

Any opinion/comment regarding dapur (Sempana?), pamor (Sodo Saler?)
and age will be much appreciated.

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/thumbs/emr8-1.jpg

If it is a sempana, then it should be 9 luks with details of one sekar kacang, one jalen, one lambe gajah, one pejetan, and greneng. (Hi, I am back home again in Jakarta this afternoon...). It could be dhapur of seven luks "carubuk", which usually has one sekar kacang, one jalen, one lambe gajah, one pejetan and greneng (worn out).
Your keris' greneng might be worn out of age. And yes, the pamor IMHO is sada sakler...

GANJAWULUNG

Greybeard 27th March 2010 04:26 PM

Hello Ganjawulung

Nice to hear that you returned well to Jakarta!

Thank you for your comment on my 7-luk keris. Yes, it's a plain keris
with all ricikan worn down by age which makes it difficult to determine
its original shape. The gandik seems quite long and steep. Any idea
about the age?

Regards,

Heinz

David 27th March 2010 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heinz, i'm reposting this directly to the forum. What tends to happen when people use outside servers like this to post their photos is that in a few month or a year or so they either remove it from that server or the server disappears altogether leaving us with a discussion and no photographic example to refer to. It would be much appreciated if everyone would use our attachments manager to upload their photos directly to this site so that we might preserve them in our archives for future reference and research. Thanks. :)

David 27th March 2010 05:56 PM

And yes on Sodo Saler. I also agree that the gandik is a bit long and wonder if this isn't a a type of kebo dhapur. :shrug:
...and while i don't do tangguh very well and it certainly isn't an applicable system for all keris i think it is far to say that this is an old soul. :)

Greybeard 27th March 2010 06:37 PM

Thank you, David, for reposting my pictures. Sorry, this was my (and my son's)
first try with posting pictures in this forum, and we simply had no idea how to do it properly ... and thank you for commenting my keris, of course.

Regards,

Heinz

David 27th March 2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greybeard
Thank you, David, for reposting my pictures. Sorry, this was my (and my son's)
first try with posting pictures in this forum, and we simply had no idea how to do it properly ... and thank you for commenting my keris, of course.

Regards,

Heinz

No problem Heinz. I mention this not to call you out per se, but as an opportunity to encourage everyone to post in this manner in order to preserve images in any given thread. There is nothing more frustrating than researching in the archives only to find that all the images are no longer with the thread.
Posting images is pretty easy here. Directly below the post/reply box you will find "Aditional Options". The second section in that area says "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments" and it should all be clear. If you have any problems just ask. :)

Freddy 27th March 2010 08:15 PM

very nice !

That's, in my opinion, a very attractive keris. Just the way I like them ;)

Is the wrangka original ? It seems to be made out of one piece of wood.

Henk 27th March 2010 08:29 PM

A lovely keris. Simple and elegant. Just like Freddy this is actually my favorite appearance for a keris.

Greybeard 28th March 2010 09:49 AM

Hello Freddy, hello Henk

Thank you! I also like this keris very much and I'm happy that I had a chance
to buy it.

Freddy, you are right, the warangka is indeed made of one piece of wood (gandar iras).
It's obviously old, but I very much doubt that this is the original one.

Regards,

Heinz

Greybeard 28th March 2010 02:57 PM

Another old slim keris

1 Attachment(s)
Another very slim keris from my collection -- this time 13 luk.
A very similar keris (with a much longer tip, however) is shown in
the book "The Javanese Kris" by Isaac Groneman, page 84.

Heinz

PenangsangII 29th March 2010 05:42 AM

very identical to keris from Pengging era..... short period thus this type is very sought after... Congratulations!

Greybeard 29th March 2010 08:54 AM

Thank you, Penangsang. I always had a "Pengging-feeling" with this keris, but I was not brave enough to mention it here.

I'm well aware that Pengging is a very rare and a very difficult tangguh, so I'm still not convinced that my keris is really a Pengging-keris -- despite its similarity with Pengging-style keris. BTW, I got this piece at a very reasonable price ...

Regards,

Heinz