Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   another sword for id (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17024)

bathala 27th March 2013 03:38 PM

another sword for id

4 Attachment(s)
heres another sword that had my friend aske ofr identification an comment as usual i this this is the forum for this one. im thingking german? bastard sword? the maker mark i really have no idea. any comments ideas anyone?

machinist 28th March 2013 03:01 PM

Hello Bathala, I have little experience with European swords but this looks like it may have been made in a machine shop by an artistically minded craftsman rather than by a traditional swordsmith.
There are just so many neat, parallel lines and surfaces in its construction and the fullers especially look like they were done on a milling machine. I think if you measured the the thickness of the blade and the width of the fullers and their distance from each other you may see little difference in different parts of the blade. This is just my impression of it though.

fernando 28th March 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinist
...There are just so many neat, parallel lines and surfaces in its construction and the fullers especially look like they were done on a milling machine...

Agreed :shrug:

thinreadline 28th March 2013 06:23 PM

Absolutely .... plus the inscription is very crude indeed with the markings looking almost Oriental or some strange otherwordly script .. Klingon or Elvish perhaps ? Perhaps made for a LARP enthusiast .

kronckew 29th March 2013 09:04 AM

it looks like an attempt to emulate a katzbalger type sword.

A Senefelder 29th March 2013 02:03 PM

I did a quick google search on HA KU BO and got several references to HAKUBO meaning something like " aunt " in I believe it was Japanese. This particlaur piece was made relatively recently. While the blade itself may have been forged ( hard to tell from the pics ) the " fullers " were definitely machined in, it appears by something like a metal router ( you can see the circular marks from the bit in the close up of the end of the fullers at the forte of the blade ). The decorative motif of the hilt is done entirely with files, not that files weren't used in period but the manner of execution is intended to creat the effect of more complex methods of construction ( ie. the progressively small round file work on the quillions is meant to make them look like the were twisted while hot, giving a " braided " appearence to the steel ). This is at least loosely inspired by a katzbalger as others have mentioned. Based purely on the proprotions of the photos this looks to be pretty heavy. My guess is its made in the last hundered years.

thinreadline 29th March 2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Senefelder
I did a quick google search on HA KU BO and got several references to HAKUBO meaning something like " aunt " in I believe it was Japanese. This particlaur piece was made relatively recently. While the blade itself may have been forged ( hard to tell from the pics ) the " fullers " were definitely machined in, it appears by something like a metal router ( you can see the circular marks from the bit in the close up of the end of the fullers at the forte of the blade ). The decorative motif of the hilt is done entirely with files, not that files weren't used in period but the manner of execution is intended to creat the effect of more complex methods of construction ( ie. the progressively small round file work on the quillions is meant to make them look like the were twisted while hot, giving a " braided " appearence to the steel ). This is at least loosely inspired by a katzbalger as others have mentioned. Based purely on the proprotions of the photos this looks to be pretty heavy. My guess is its made in the last hundered years.

Would agree .... I too thought HAKUBO was Japanese for aunt ... I would love to know if in fact the oriental style script on the blade is actually Japanese ... do we have any members who can look into that ? I strongly feel that this is a LARP piece of recent manufacture ... they often have mysterious ( usually meaningless ) inscriptions on the blade often in oriental, fantasy or ancient scripts , which bear little or no connection to the supposed period or ethnic origin of the weapon. .

David R 29th March 2013 06:42 PM

Chinese made perhaps!