Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ifuago Ritual Dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6933)

Bill M 29th August 2008 02:17 AM

Ifuago Ritual Dagger

6 Attachment(s)
Acquired this from a professor of archeology who collected the dagger and an interesting shaman hat back in the 1950's. The hat is a nice example of basket weaving and has an old native repair. I'll post it also if there is any interest.

The professor was studying the famous Banaue Rice Terraces.

The hat and dagger seem very authentic. The wood carving somehow reminds me a little of the Batak shapes.

Has a spooky presence.

Blade is very good quality metal, and, no I am not going to clean and stain it! :rolleyes:

VVV 29th August 2008 06:59 AM

Very nice!!!

I don't know much about Ifugao but this one reminds me more than a little about Batak motifs. :confused:

Michael

Bill M 29th August 2008 08:58 AM

Hi Michael,

It looks Batak to me also, as I mentioned in my original post. The shaman hat has a label, describing it as Ifuago. The dagger is missing its label with just a piece of string remaining.

As I purchased this from the original collector's estate, there may be a mixup. Whatever it is, it has a definite feeling of age, authenticity and power -- perhaps menace.

The horse motif has similarities with the Sumba, (or Sumbawa) pony. Have not seen this style in Ifuago.

The dagger, possibly spear point, is certainly old and very well made. Possibly a trade piece?

I have a good head basket that I can post with the hat. Perhaps we can put together a setting.

Though I wish these pieces could talk, I wonder if we would want to hear some of the things they could say! :eek:

VVV 29th August 2008 09:47 AM

Bill,

The horse motif is Sumba, not Sumbawa.
And of course I would love to see the shaman's hat too. :D

Michael

Marcokeris 29th August 2008 11:16 AM

IMO the hilt is 100% Batak (VERY NICE).About blade i'dont know

kino 29th August 2008 01:14 PM

The blade doesn't look Bontoc or Ifugao.
Is that horse hair on it? Is the professor still with the living, could probably ask where he collected if he is?

Battara 30th August 2008 12:09 AM

This is nice, but definitely not Ifugao. My first thought was also Batak.

Marcokeris 30th August 2008 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A same Batak motif (but more younger :shrug: )

Dajak 30th August 2008 08:12 PM

Hi Bill the Item is Batak

could be from an Batak staf the top .

Ben

Bill M 30th August 2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dajak
Hi Bill the Item is Batak

could be from an Batak staff the top .

Ben

Thank you all for confirming this is Batak.