Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mace, Ritual Device, etc.? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22702)

ALEX 15th May 2017 09:23 AM

Mace, Ritual Device, etc.?

4 Attachment(s)
Here's what appears to be a mace by form. Metal spiked shaft, engraved near wooden head, with metal chains with imitation coin finials. The imitation coins look to be European with Cyrillic letters. The shaft and wooden head show some age, I'd estimate at least 19th Century. My guess it is a mace, perhaps Afghani or Persian, or could be ritual device, like self-flagellation for Ashura religious festival, a rattle toy, etc. Anyone knows what it is or has a reference?
Many thanks

thinreadline 19th May 2017 12:27 AM

any chance of a good close up of one of the coins ?

Drabant1701 19th May 2017 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cant tell you what it is but a similar sold at auction not to long ago (not to me). Posting a picture of it. I does look a little Indo-Persian.

ALEX 19th May 2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drabant1701
I cant tell you what it is but a similar sold at auction not to long ago (not to me). Posting a picture of it. I does look a little Indo-Persian.

Thank you very much! It looks similar indeed.

Thinreadline, thank you also. I will post closeups of the "imitation coins" later.

Richard G 20th May 2017 12:49 PM

This is just a suggestion, and I can see the problems with it, but could it be a falcon's perch?
Regards
Richard

colin henshaw 20th May 2017 05:26 PM

I believe this is a ritual self-flagellation implement as mentioned by ALEX. I've seen some similar with crocodile skin wrapped around, described as being Sudanese. However, I don't know of any references or concrete evidence.

ALEX 20th May 2017 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Richard,
Interesting, I also thought of falcon's perch. I saw a few, and they do have spikes to be pushed into the ground, although the top is almost always has horizontal bar for falcon's claws to grab comfortably. The wooden ball with chains may make it uncomfortable for the bird to land on.

Colin,
I also saw similar devices as being described as self-flagellation for Ashura, although with longer chains. Mine has quite short links, although this may have be intended due to ceremonial purposes.
I also have not seen any viable references or more detailed descriptions for these.

Also, here are closeups of the coins. They do not look Eastern.

colin henshaw 21st May 2017 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This example was sold recently, described as Mahdist.

Will M 23rd May 2017 06:52 PM

I can't help but think the pointed shaft is meant to go into flesh. Lance and spear pointed shaft sure suggests this.

David 23rd May 2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will M
I can't help but think the pointed shaft is meant to go into flesh. Lance and spear pointed shaft sure suggests this.

Well i don't know what this is exactly, but i can't help but think the pointed shaft is meant to go into the ground. So sort of ritual stake. I don't think this is a weapon at all. :shrug: