Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aceh Swords (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1444)

RhysMichael 5th November 2005 06:44 PM

Aceh Swords

Here is a link to a small project I am working on about peudeueng from Aceh. With the aid of those listed and many others, I feel it is now ready to recieve some public comments. Realize it is a work in progress. I have several more books on the way that I hope will have more information on these. Much of what you see here is a compilation of information garnered from all of you here. So even to those not mentioned by name my thanks. Paul Hansen has graciously agreed to translate some dutch sources for me when I have them.

It can be found here.
http://home.comcast.net/~jtcrosby/Aceh.html

As I said critical review is encouraged and welcomed. I am a firefighter who's last academic work was 3 decades ago in college.
Thanks

Rich 5th November 2005 06:48 PM

John -

Nice article. I'm going to put a link to it on my
swords of the world links page. Good job.

Rich S

Bill 5th November 2005 07:06 PM

Great job, Thanks

Rick 5th November 2005 07:16 PM

Nice work John !
I ordered a copy of Blanke Wapens ; looks like a good resource .
Thank you !

Ferguson 6th November 2005 11:12 AM

Excellent work. I own what I had previously called a Sikkim Panjang. It's so good to know more about the Sumatran weapons.

One problem I have, is that all my information comes from the internet. So never hearing the names spoken, probably has me pronouncing them incorrectly. Can you please tell me how to pronounce "peudeueng" in english?

Thanks for your good work.

Steve

RhysMichael 6th November 2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferguson
Excellent work. I own what I had previously called a Sikkim Panjang. It's so good to know more about the Sumatran weapons.

One problem I have, is that all my information comes from the internet. So never hearing the names spoken, probably has me pronouncing them incorrectly. Can you please tell me how to pronounce "peudeueng" in english?

Thanks for your good work.

Steve

Thanks for all the kind comments. I know I need a good background for the page and some work on the sword pictures but that is all comming. Steve I still do not think sikkim is necessarily wrong. It is I beleive an indonesian term for sword. And as I said D. Buttin calls them sikim and I have a huge amount of respect for the work done by him and before him by Charles Buttin.
Peudeueng / pedang / parang /podang or gliwang / klewang / tjo jang , it can make your head spin. I remember an emic - etic debate about dha / darb /dao that personally confused me far more than it helped me. So depending on what indonesian group you show it to you may get it called several things. As to the pronouciation I will try to get a phonetic spelling from my sources as I too have only read the words and how I say them is the southern USA way and probably not too close to the Aceh way.

Rich 7th November 2005 01:47 AM

>I too have only read the words and how I say them is the southern USA way >and probably not too close to the Aceh way.

For us Virginians / Southerners, it would probably be something
like: pea-dang ya'll :-)

Rich S

RhysMichael 16th November 2005 03:43 PM

I am still trying to get more on this but Paul was very helpful and sent this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hansen

I don't speak "Sumatran" (or any other Indonesian language for that matter) but I'd imagine it's not to different from Javanese Pedang which is pronounced like "Pay-dahng".

In Dutch, the eu in Peudeueng is pronounced like the ö (o-umlaut) in German. There is no English equivalent AFAIK, the closest might be the u in dung. IIRC, in "Sumatran", it's a bit different, but somewhere in the general direction. So it's like Pödöng but different.