Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Weird eBay Win (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15538)

dbhmgb 6th May 2012 11:31 PM

Weird eBay Win

Ebay Item

Okay, so a couple of days ago I saw this weird keris - the price was low, it looked sort of odd, I had no idea about that pamour (tourist stuff?) - but I said, "What the heck?" and bid $15.

Well it's mine now. Anybody want to tell me what the heck it is?

Thanks,
Dan

Sajen 6th May 2012 11:34 PM

Puuh, badly tourist Bali keris! The pamor isn't real but etched or painted. Sorry for the bad news! :shrug:

Regards,

Detlef

dbhmgb 6th May 2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Puuh, badly tourist Bali keris! The pamor isn't real but etched or painted. Sorry for the bad news! :shrug:

Regards,

Detlef

Not bad news - in fact, that's what I thought. For that amount of money, I don't care...

David 7th May 2012 01:01 AM

Yep, this is not really deserving of the name keris since it is not produced with any traditional methods. We sometimes say keris-like object (KLO). :D
Frankly i have often thought it might be fun to have one of these in the collection just for fun. That is probably about all i would be will to pay for it so i hope he doesn't want much for the shipping. :)

dbhmgb 7th May 2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Yep, this is not really deserving of the name keris since it is not produced with any traditional methods. We sometimes say keris-like object (KLO). :D
Frankly i have often thought it might be fun to have one of these in the collection just for fun. That is probably about all i would be will to pay for it so i hope he doesn't want much for the shipping. :)

I didn't bid to win, so it's a lark - I've wasted more money on worse junk!

Yeah, it'll be fun to play with.

Timo Nieminen 7th May 2012 01:57 AM

I've seen these described as "dance krises", for dance performers to wear/wield, rather than tourist KLOs. Is there truth to this?

I bought a cheap one once, to put up on my office wall, free from objections about having weapons in one's office. (Also a nice wooden-bladed parang.) Still need to drill some holes. I had enough of drilling after putting up my bow rack, so haven't done it yet!

David 7th May 2012 05:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
No Timo, I wouldn't call these "dance" keris. I do have an unsubstantiated theory that this form of dress may have developed out of a form specific to dance keris. Though the blades in those sheaths are simple they are genuinely forged blades.
Here's some old photos of dance keris in action. I believe all the keris you see in these photos are legitimate keris.