Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Batak Sword - metal handle - More info? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24559)

Bill M 27th December 2018 09:22 AM

Batak Sword - metal handle - More info?

4 Attachment(s)
Though I have slown (slowed down) collecting, but was walking through a flea market and saw this Batak sword in a pile of junk. The seller offered a very low price and I took it home with me.

For your perusal and opinions?

ariel 27th December 2018 09:21 PM

Not my cup of tea, but both are undeniably very pretty.

shayde78 28th December 2018 01:21 AM

Very nice...pretty enough to be your new avatar.

Bill M 28th December 2018 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Not my cup of tea, but both are undeniably very pretty.

Thanks, Ariel. What are your favorites, maybe I might have one to post. Bill

Sajen 4th January 2019 01:34 PM

Hello Bill,

It's a kalasan from the Toba Bataks.

Regards,
Detlef

Bill M 4th January 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Bill,

It's a kalasan from the Toba Bataks.

Regards,
Detlef

Thank you Detlef. It is good to put a name to it!

It seems quite authentic. Your opinion?

kai 4th January 2019 11:36 PM

Hello Bill,

Blade stats would be great!

As in the companion thread I'd agree with this being clearly Toba style while steering away from calling it a kalasan.

If we go with the common collectors' terminology, I'd tend toward tagging this as a rather longish piso ni datu even if this stretches things a bit.

Age is tough to impossible to assess from pics. If pressed for a guesstimate, I'd tend towards the first half of 20th c. (or later).

Regards,
Kai

kai 5th January 2019 12:20 AM

Hello Bill,

I just saw that we crossed posts.

Quote:

Age is tough to impossible to assess from pics. If pressed for a guesstimate, I'd tend towards the first half of 20th c. (or later).
Maybe I'm a bit too cautious - the craftsmanship is above average for the period and warrants close study (the black painted scabbard may be a later "restoration" attempt...)

BTW, for a piece with resembling motifs cp. Fig. viii.16 in Sibeth & Carpenter (2007).

Regards,
Kai

Sajen 5th January 2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M
It seems quite authentic. Your opinion?

Yes Bill, I think as well that it's an authentic piece, would be glad to have such a Toba sword in my own collection. End of 19th to early 20th century would be my guess.

Regards,
Detlef

Marcokeris 5th January 2019 12:38 PM

very nice :)

Sajen 5th January 2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
I'd agree with this being clearly Toba style while steering away from calling it a kalasan.

If we go with the common collectors' terminology, I'd tend toward tagging this as a rather longish piso ni datu even if this stretches things a bit.

Hello Kai,

yes agree with you that it isn't correct to call it kalasan, piso ni datu would be a better description. ;)

Regards,
Detlef

CharlesS 6th January 2019 01:07 PM

What is the material covering the scabbard...tar/paint/resin of some sort? I am surprised it also extends to the fittings.

Bill M 6th January 2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
What is the material covering the scabbard...tar/paint/resin of some sort? I am surprised it also extends to the fittings.

I will have a closer look. I usually try to keep 'em like I find 'em. But stop rust or degradation. I have over cleaned in the past.