Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philippine knife for identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18326)

Sajen 22nd March 2014 11:44 PM

Philippine knife for identification

6 Attachment(s)
I have won this Philippine knife by ebay. I have never seen a similar knife before and I am unsure if it is a Luzon or Visayan piece. Blade profile tells Luzon but I think that the scabbard had has once a leather at the throat which would suggest that it is a Visayan knife/dagger. What do you think? Or did someone know exactly what is and will be able to give it a name? It is 9 5/8 inch inside scabbard with a blade lenght of 5 3/4 inch.

Sajen 25th March 2014 09:01 PM

Over 100 views and no comment or idea? :confused:

Battara 25th March 2014 10:32 PM

For me this is a tough one. By hilt and scabbard I'm thinking Visayan.

Robert 25th March 2014 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Detlef, Sorry for not replying sooner but I was trying to find these photos. As you can see these two are quite similar in appearance though mine has a wooden hilt while yours is made from horn. I've had this piece for a few years now and the only thing that I have been able to find out about it is that it is most likely (like Jose suggested) a Visayan piece. I wish that I could be of more help to you other than just showing another example.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 25th March 2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
For me this is a tough one. By hilt and scabbard I'm thinking Visayan.

Thank you very much Jose! :) For me it's a tough one as well, this is maybe the reason why nobody before comment! :shrug: But I agree with you, special the scabbard, the way how it's built up, let me think Visayan. The scabbard is for me remindful to some scabbards I have seen from talibon.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 25th March 2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Detlef, Sorry for not replying sooner but I was trying to find these photos. As you can see these two are quite similar in appearance though mine has a wooden hilt while yours is made from horn. I've had this piece for a few years now and the only thing that I have been able to find out about it is that it is most likely (like Jose suggested) a Visayan piece. I wish that I could be of more help to you other than just showing another example.

Best,
Robert

Hello Robert,

thank you for posting the pictures from your piece and your thoughts! :)
Yes, your's one is indeed very similar, what's are the measurements? Similar?
And the Visayan attribution seems to be a good one.

Regards,
Detlef

Robert 26th March 2014 12:08 AM

Hello Detlef, My knife is slightly larger with an overall length of 14 inches and a blade length of 10-1/2 inches. The blade on my example (like quite a few knives I've seen) looks to have been made from an old rasp.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 26th March 2014 06:48 PM

Thank you Robert! :)

Sajen 2nd April 2014 09:43 PM

Have received the dagger, nice little dagger with good age. When I will find the time I will take some pictures.

Robert 2nd April 2014 11:34 PM

Great news Detlef, I can't wait to see your photos. :D

Sajen 4th April 2014 08:59 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here some pictures just taken with flash light, some together with a gunong to get a imagination of the dimensions of the dagger. By time the blade will receive an etch since I think that the blade is laminated. The scabbard has had once a belt hook and by an unknown reason this place is old carved away. The blade is rounded at one side and flat on the other.

Sajen 18th April 2014 06:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today I have etched some blades and like assumed shows the dagger blade a fine lamination, difficult to see but I hope you can see it by my pictures.

Battara 19th April 2014 09:18 PM

Never would have known that this was laminated.

Sajen 19th April 2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Never would have known that this was laminated.

Hello Jose,

I have assumed it when I have cleaned the blade. It seems that more Visayan blades blades laminated as we may think. Do you still remember this Visayan kris: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=visayan ?
The blade is in the moment by a friend who work on the blade to get out the bad grinding marks. This blade shows as well a very nice lamination. Will show pictures from this blade when I have it back in my hands.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 21st April 2014 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
By searching through old threads I found this: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=bagobo
A short sword Michael posted years ago for identification. I am the only one who see an amazing affinity between both handles?
Sorry for using your picture Michael but I want to show the handles side by side for comparison.
Michael, do you have get in the meantime further informations about your bolo? Could it be that both blades have the same origin?